The vast majority of those visiting a pharmacy throughout the year are seeking relief from decongestion. Pharmacists need to be prepared to counsel. Obviously the first-line of therapy for the common cold includes rest, adequate fluid intake, humidification for expectoration, and then come the decongestants. Decongestants are more often than not vapour rub creams or inhalers. In its never ending endeavour to improve upon what is normally available on the market, Alta Care Laboratoires, Paris has launched its Altacura Vapour Patch which has an indirect decongestant effect, thus being milder and more delicate because of its vapour form. Alta Care has made it a point to address the negative characteristics of most vapour creams and inhalers.
Aromatherapy is a form of alternative medicine that uses volatile liquid plant materials, known as essential oils (EOs) and other aromatic compounds for the purpose of affecting a person’s mood or health, thus his, or her psychological and physical well-being.
What Are Essential Oils? Essential oils are the subtle, aromatic and volatile liquids extracted from the flowers, seeds, leaves, stems, bark and roots of herbs, bushes, shrubs, and trees, through distillation. According to ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics and Chinese manuscripts, priests and physicians were using essential oils thousands of years before Christ to heal the sick. They are the oldest form of remedies and cosmetics known to man and were considered more valuable than gold. Science is only now beginning to investigate the incredible healing properties of essential oils.
The ALTACURA VAPOUR PATCH has 6 essential oils that release a vapour that produces a decongestant effect and gives a pleasant sense of freshness to the surrounding air. A normal vapour cream has only 1 essential oil.
Other advantages of Altacura Vapour Patch are the following:
• It is CAMPHOR FREE. Camphor is a waxy, white or transparent solid with a strong, aromatic odor. It is a terpenoid with the chemical formula C10H16O. It is found in wood of the camphor laurel (Cinnamomum camphora), a large evergreen tree found in Asia. In large quantities, it is poisonous when ingested and can cause seizures, confusion, irritability, and neuromuscular hyperactivity.
• The ALTACURA VAPOUR PATCH does not cause skin irritation, nor is it an eye irritant.
• It can also form part of one’s allergy treatment.
• It is suitable for children.
• Every patch is a monodose, thus there is no oxidization of the ingredients as in the case of creams of jars that have to be opened every now and then.
• It is not messy, for the ALTACURA VAPOUR PATCH can be applied to one's underwear or clothes.
So the next time you catch a cold, be selective when you are about to purchase an aromatherapy product. Even the quality of essential oils varies from company to company. It is not uncommon for select companies to falsely claim that their oils are undiluted or pure when they aren’t.